When calling 911,
Remember to stay calm, the 9.1.1. operator is there to help. Follow any instructions the 911 operator gives you.
Remember Do Not Block Fire Hydrants
An Emergency Notification System gives those in charge of Public Safety a chance to reach out to the public in case of an emergency event.
Click Here to get more information and sign up.
Visit Sparkey.org for Kids Games and Activities
Lavallette Fire Co.
125 Washington Avenue, (Not staffed Full Time)
Po Box 267 Lavallette, NJ 08735
Phone 732-793-6900 (Non Emergency) Fax 732-830-7135
Proudly Serving The
Borough of Lavallette since 1914
Celebrating Over 100 Years of Service to the Community
Lavallette Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1
|Fire Police Captain|
Any person wishing to join the fire Department and
help your community can
call 732-793-6900. All training will be provided by the Lavallette Fire Co.
Check your fire extinguisher -
it may be recalled.
More than 37 million fire extinguishers made in the past 44 years were recalled because the devices may fail to discharge and their nozzles may detach, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. The recall is for two types of Kidde fire extinguishers: plastic handle fire extinguishers and push button fire extinguishers.
Kiddie Product Recall Website
Remember To Check &
Change Your Smoke Detector Batteries
For the greatest protection, install a smoke detector on every level of your home and inside each sleeping area. Also, develop an escape plan and make sure every family member knows what to do if the fire alarm sounds.
Test smoke detectors at least once each month to ensure that they are working properly. Vacuum the dust from inside the detector at least once every year. Batteries in battery-operated detectors should be changed twice a year or whenever a detector “chirps” to signal low battery power.
Never “borrow” a smoke detectors battery for another use. A disabled detector cannot save your life. In addition, smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years or according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
History of the Lavallette Volunteer Fire Company
In the early days of Lavallette, fire protection consisted of a hand-powered chemical wagon'. It was housed in a building situated on a lot located at Reese and Grand Central Avenues owned by Mr. Charles Garibaldi. The rim of a huge locomotive wheel hung suspended from railroad ties near this building, and, in case of fire, an alarm was given by striking this rim with a sledge hammer which hung nearby. Every able bodied male resident of Lavallette within hearing distance would respond. The old locomotive rim was moved in 1959 from the driveway property of Charles Garibaldi, Jr., where it had been buried for many years, to its present location in front of the firehouse.
On February 10, 1923 , a group of twenty-five men met in the Lavallette Borough Council chambers for the purpose of organizing a volunteer fire company. The Council chambers were located in Applegate's Hotel on the site of the present Crab's Claw Inn. At this meeting the Lavallette Volunteer Fire Company NO.1 was formed.
Meeting Minutes and Roster from first meeting
Much was accomplished during the months following the first organizational meeting. In March the first bylaws of the company were approved and the first slate of officers was elected. A lot upon which to build a firehouse was purchased for $465.00. The location of this lot is known now as 105 Reese Avenue . In October 1923, the Borough's first truck, a Reo, was delivered. It cost $4,500.00. On January 19, 1924 , the Fire Company held its first Oyster Supper, founded by William Nugent, and realized a profit of $450.00.
1935 Ford and 1949 Mack pumpers in front of firehouse, now Borough offices, 1955
In its formative years, the Company was assisted by a ladies' auxiliary. The ladies were a great help in the early development of the Company.
When the present Borough Hall was erected in 1928, the Fire Company was allotted space in the new building for a meeting room and engine room. The Company sold its lot on Reese Avenue for $1,000.00. This money was turned over to the Borough in return for the company's new quarters.
Also in 1928, steps were taken to have members within proper age limits join the State Fireman's Association. This required that the Company be placed under the control of the Borough Council in regard to approval of new members and elected officers and disposition of certain equipment. Since that time the Company has been financed partially through budget appropriations of the Borough Council.
The steady progress of the Company during its early years slowed to a struggle for survival with the advent of the Great Depression in the 1930's. In 1932, an Ahrens Fox fire truck that had been bought in 1930 was returned to the company from which it had been purchased. The Fire Company was unable to meet the required payments.
During the depression years, when funds were hard to come by, the Company operated a miniature golf course on the corner of Brown and Grand Central Avenues. Funds also were raised through dues, donations, suppers, raffles, carnivals and benefits. The Company even pumped holes for bulkheads to raise money.
Despite the difficult times, the company managed to survive the depression and the affairs of the Company were uneventful until the advent of World War II in 1941. The ranks of the Company were depleted when its younger members entered military service. During the war years, to help fill the gap, the acceptance of junior members was authorized and the junior members served with distinction. The Company was shocked and grieved to learn of the loss of member Harry Bloom who was killed in action while fighting in France.
The end of World War II in 1945 brought resurgence in the Company. The membership was enlarged vastly when many returning veterans became firefighters. A larger membership in the Company and the expansion of the Borough soon resulted in the need for larger quarters. The Borough Council recognized this need and, in 1958, the present firehouse was erected.
In 1962 the organization of a Junior Fire Company was authorized. The junior members, under supervision of the Fire Company, elect their own officers and conduct their own affairs. The juniors have made significant contributions to the overall effectiveness of the Fire Company. A major project has been the restoration of the 1935 Ford Fire Truck.
Dick Killick, Ed Reim, Ralph Anteau, and Charles Shubert in the 1935 Ford, 1977
In 1990 the Ladies Auxiliary of the Lavallette Volunteer Fire Company was organized as a support group of the Company. It assists in any fire emergency by providing food and beverages to the firefighters either at the scene or at the firehouse. It conducts several fund-raisers each year including taking pictures of people on the 1935 Ford apparatus during the Heritage Day festivities. It organizes the visits from Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The Auxiliary places a wreath at the Veterans' Memorial each year during the Memorial Day services and makes an annual donation to the Fire Company at its annual Installation Dinner.
The firehouse meeting room, besides being used for Fire Company business and as a polling place for elections, was used five days a week as a site for the Ocean County Nutrition Project.
In 1996 the company was equipped with three fire engine pumpers, an emergency truck, a Ford pick-up truck for Fire Police, a Ford Expedition for use by the Chief and a jet ski. It has a boat rescue squad, and a scuba rescue team. In 1997 the Company received a new 1500 gallon E-One pumper. Its members stand ready twenty-four hours a day, year-round, to provide service and protection whenever called upon.
The Fire House in 1996
The Lavallette Fire Company is a well equipped, well-trained fire and rescue operation. Its growth and progress have kept pace with the growth and progress of the Borough. Its officers and members, along with constant in-service training, regularly attend training courses to keep abreast of the latest firefighting techniques. All new members must attend approved fire fighting schools as a condition of membership. A plectron and pager system provides instant communication, unaffected by power failures, to each firefighter.
The Fire House in 2005
Following Super Storm Sandy the Three Springs Volunteer Fire Company Donated a pumper truck to The Lavallette Fire Company
The Lavallette Fire Company purchased a Ladder Truck from the Point Pleasant Fire Company to plan ahead for the raising of the houses in Lavallette.
Portions of the Fire Company History from
"The History of Lavallette, Second Edition"
A work of the Lavallette Heritage Committee.